Wednesday 20 June 2012

ICAD 2: Cards 13-18

Hey, hey!

Time for an update on my ICAD2 cards.  Now that I've stopped Zentangling (sorry, Zentangle) and moved on to a mixed media/art journaling style, I finally feel comfortable with this project. Don't get me wrong, Zentangling is awesome but it was taking me hours (that's right, hours) to finish each card.  Now that I'm in my happy place, I'm having way more fun.

Here are my cards for Days 13-19.

Day 13 was inspired by the Textured Foil Background tutorial by May Flaum. I used adhesive backed foil from Ranger and Adirondack Alcohol Inks. I am going to try this again with regular tin foil on an art journal page. I just have to know what will happen and what it will look like.

ICAD2_Day13

Day 14 was back to basics with layered up book text which I stained with Vintage Photo Distress Stain.  The heart is modeling paste.  I tried to write using the red glaze I made from Claudine Hellmuth Dash of Red Studio Paint and Tsukineko Goosebumps Clear Texture Spray. Clearly, that didn't work. Instead, I spread it around with my finger and added the letter stickers.

ICAD2_Day14

Day 15 started with a piece of leftover Claudine Hellmuth Studio Sticky Back Canvas. I didn't have enough canvas to cover the whole card so I used a piece of fabric ribbon from an old kit club. The houses are from Dyan Reaveley's Dylusion stamp set, Right Up Your Street. I stamped the houses on white paper and colored them using watercolor paints. Then I layered them up and added the letter stickers. They take up too much space but whatevs. It's just a card, right?

ICAD2_Day15

Day 16 is my all time favorite card. I love it like crazy-cakes. There are a few steps to making this one so keep your eyes open for a little tutorial on how I made it in the next day or so.

ICAD2_Day16

On Day 17, I kept going with the house theme. I have no idea what this card is about but I love it. It's weird and creepy and maybe it needs something else but I don't want to fiddle with it and ruin it.

ICAD2_Day 17

Day 18 was the day I fell in love with embedding book pages in gesso.  I coated the card in gesso and then ripped up some book pages and pressed them into the gesso.  Then I covered the pages in gesso so they would take the next layer of paint the same as the non-book parts of the card. The effect is the same as image transfer except the words read the right way - nothing is backwards.

Lots of layers of paint here and then a Tim Holtz quote stamp and an old, old, old Gel-a-Tins stamp from the Vroom set.

ICAD2_Day 18

And that's what I have been up to with ICAD2.  I'm all caught up but cards 19-21 are drying so I don't have any pictures to share yet.

Thanks for stopping by.

zove

Cathie


2 comments:

  1. I am so in love with your cards. The colors and layers...all the little details. They are just awesome!

    ReplyDelete