Friday 18 September 2015

Dare to Be Yourself: Art Journal Page

I am experimenting with my process. In real life, I have better ideas when I have time to think about things. I was wondering what would happen if I gave myself more time to think about things in my art journal. So, I have been working on pages in stages - a layer at a time - to give myself more time.


This page...

...started weeks ago with a layer of interesting paper towel glued to my paper.


Later, I added some cheesecloth and a coat of gesso. The next time I picked up this page (many weeks later), I added some Dina Wakley Heavy Body Acrylic paints that I watered down with a wet brush to get a watercolor effect.


Finally, I added a bold splash of turquoise India Ink and the word strips.


Here are a few more closeups.





I like to call myself a deliberate artist. I can and do get swept up in the moment and carried away by inspiration but I also need time to think and mull things over. I think this piece is so colorful because I gave myself more time. I'm happy to have figured that out and I am going to work on giving myself a more time with more of my projects.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cathie

5 comments:

  1. Love the colors you used and the texture of the cheesecloth. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this - such a feeling of being free. I have always loved using gauze/cheesecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, love the cheesecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just amazing! I so want to run my fingers across this page, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the 'stages' are making a huge and positive impact!! LOVE this page...the color, texture, and final words added. Gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete